Sunday 6 November 2011

Contagion: Review

Hi,

I feel like I've been a terrible blogger lately and would like to apologise for the massive lack of posts. I wish I had some exciting reason for this aforementioned rubbishness, bit basically I've just been working none stop! To make up for this, I'm going to share a movie review with you and hope that all is forgiven!

After much anticipation, I finally managed to go and watch 'Contagion'. Ironically, I had an awful cold the week before last and had to cancel my cinema trip. I am now thanking my lucky stars I did, as I would definitely have freaked everyone out by coughing and spreading my germs in the cinema.

So all that aside, 'Contagion' is a pretty intense film. It's horrific and eery, but in a subtle, 'it could actually happen' way. It's definitelt not a horror film in the traditional sense, so if you were expecting that, you would definitely be disappointed (like the chav who, in a chaming fashion, declared 'that was s**t very loudly as the credits rolled).

I don't want to ruin the story, but the basics are, that a deadly virus emerges and starts to spread across the globe (it doesn't take a genius to realise that from the trailer, so don't think I've dropped a spoiler on you there). As the virus spreads, moral panic breaks out and the world goes a little crazy with fear of death and obsessive self prevention.

'Contagion' covers a broad range of aspects of the situation, which is essentially both its best and worst feature. On the one hand, it's great that all bases are covered, including a very real sense of humans becoming destructive animals in the face of fighting for survival, yet also touching upon government conspiracies and the sheer unfairness of who is prioritised with regard to vaccinations.

Unfortunately, this also means there are about five or six stories going on at the same time and many characters are sidelined and have minimal chances to develop their role. Of course the amazing a-list cast (Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Winslet all star in 'Contagion') play their parts fantastically. However, you don't really get a sense of knowing many of the characters or forming an emotional bond with them.

Out of 5 I would have to sit on the fence a little and give 'Contagion' a 3.5. Whereas it is a clever concept and chillingly realistic, it borders almost slightly into documentary territory with very long and weary explanations about the chemical make up of the virus (you don't really pay £7 for a cinema ticket to a biology lesson). However, there are some moments of fantastic acting and some very clever observations made.

If you want some light movie entertainment on a Saturday night, this is not for you. But if you're willing to sit through some slightly boring sciency parts (or if you're a geek for biology) then you'll be rewarded with a pretty intelligent piece of cinema. And Jude Law's beautiful face, which can only be a bonus.

Just be prepared to freak out a little when anyone coughs/sneezes in the cinema, and to leave with a slight touch of OCD...Pretty sure 'Contagion' will boost hand sanitizer sales back up to the level they were at during pig flu panic! ;)

Enjoy!

Anna x

No comments:

Post a Comment